Avis sur Tableau Software

Tableau Software

Business intelligence & analytics

4.5/5 (415 avis)

Tableau Desktop is my must-have software. I couldn't do my job without it (nor would I want to)!

Publié le 05.12.2017
Provenance de l'avis : Capterra

Tableau has allowed our office to look at data in new ways. Whether we're using it for data exploration or dissemination, it makes the information easy to understand and use, even for newbies. In the past, we used spreadsheets and PDFs to share data with various constituents, but they were dense and only offered a static view of the data. Now, with interactive dashboards, end-users can not only search for the exact information they need, they can also see how it fits into the big picture. This capability has led people to ask more questions and actually get excited about data and assessment. Tableau allows us to answer those new questions quickly and accurately than before.

Avantages

I have been using Tableau Desktop for over five years now and I still get excited about it. First, Tableau is so easy to learn and use--the intuitive interface allows even first-time users to create amazing visualizations. Second, Tableau is a time saver. What used to take me weeks now takes days and what used to take days now takes minutes. Third, Tableau is versatile. There are many different chart types available, and with the ability to tweak everything from size to font to color, your imagination is the only limit. Fourth, Tableau is always evolving and improving. With each update, Tableau adds new features and capabilities that continuously make my job easier to perform. The software is capable of connecting with data in many different formats from spreadsheets and SQL to PDF's and spatial files, making it useful for any field or company that works with data. I could go on and on about the benefits of using Tableau, but the best way to understand my enthusiasm is to try the product--it speaks for itself!

Inconvénients

Sometimes large data files can take several minutes to load. Tableau allows for the creation of extracts to speed up the process, but the initial upload still takes time. Tableau also does not have an auto-save feature, which has caused me to lose work on several occasions.

Probabilité de recommander le produit

A flexible and powerful tool

Logiciel utilisé tous les jours pendant 1 à 5 mois
Publié le 12.07.2018
Provenance de l'avis : Capterra

I am an analytics consultant and used to work mostly with SAP BW (Business Objects, Business Explorer, etc), Lumira, and Qlik Sense. My first contact with Tableau was very good, I've learned many things in a few days, it's very easy to use and also very powerful. I'm happy in working with this project because Tableau makes my experience much better, I'm liking it.

Avantages

The easiness on creating simple reports don't obfuscate its power on creating complex dashboards. If you want to create a simple bar graph that shows your sales amount, you can do it easily and quickly, but it doesn't take out the tools and mechanisms that allows advanced users and consultants to do more, like creating complex non-existent (not ready-available in the tool, but possible) charts like exploded bar charts. It supports formulas and also have a very good engine for it, as you can define one and reference it by its name wherever you need.
As an analytics consultant, I've seen many other reporting tools, like Qlik View (and Sense), Power BI, SAP Lumira and so on, so I can tell that Tableau is a major competitor in segment.

Inconvénients

A common problem that takes place inside large companies lies on the difference between how we think Tableau looks for data and how it actually does. At one of the cases we have SAP Hana as a database with its views as data source and Tableau as the reporting tool. Some of our dashboards have been stated as "slow", but we figured out that the problem was not on the columns that was available and being used by Tableau, but in the other columns. The Tableau doesn't ever create the same SQL as we are expecting for a situation, it has a complex way to determine the better SQL for the best user experience.
This slowness is known wherever you ask for "Tableau main problems".
So the problem was not entirely on Tableau, but in the way we created the views.
This is a very light con that has the main purpose to aware software buyers instead of saying "don't buy".
In short, the slowness may lie on data source instead of Tableau's engine. You should care about how data is delivered to it.

Probabilité de recommander le produit

Tableau is my go-to tools for quick, nicely looking dashboards and data visualization

Publié le 26.04.2018
Provenance de l'avis : Capterra

I get real-time data visualization from Tableau Software and a platform for posting cool and useful data visualizations without having to purchase a server.

Avantages

Tableau is the software I use most (outside of Excel). The software's visualization tools are nice, at times amazing. Tableau connects with every data source I've ever needed (with the exception of one problem). The interactive capabilities and Tableau Public make for a perfect fit for a beginner to intermediate data visualizer. Advanced data visualizers probably find the functionality somewhat constraining, but that's one of the benefits of the software. Tableau is more than just a supped-up Excel graphics system. The analytical capabilities, although not best in class, offer all the basic calculations that most users will ever need.

Inconvénients

Tableau is limited in its analytical capabilities. Tableau is working on making its use of R script more user friendly, although this requires the user to know R. Tableau's graphs are also somewhat limited at times, and Tableau for some reason takes pride in limiting its options (it apparently knows better than the user on what graphs are useful).

Tableau is the Industry Standard for Data Visualization

Publié le 26.10.2017
Provenance de l'avis : Capterra

Streamlined our reporting - provided informative dashboards to our executive team and staff.

Avantages

I use tableau as an analyst every day and I like the ability to create rich visualizations from different kinds of datasets. If you are of a creative and problem solving mindset there is almost a limitless set of complex Vizzes that you can design using Tableau.

Inconvénients

I think Tableau can be less than intuitive. While there is almost unlimited capabilty, often it's difficult to immediately understand what is required to solve your problem. It's good however that there is a huge customer base and forums that can help you. It's often better to solve your problems in the database rather than with Tableau. Use it as the Viz layer as much as you can and try to limit usage of it in doing calculations, especially with big datasets. Performance can degrade.

In the dashboard design there should be a little bit more finetuning of the interface. Can't copy/paste items which would be a nice feature.

Customer support staff are extremely professional and friendly - if you can get a hold of them. Tableau support has fallen away recently I have found.

Probabilité de recommander le produit

The most comprehensive tool to analyze multiple sources of information

Publié le 09.01.2018
Provenance de l'avis : SoftwareAdvice

A special mention should be made about their student policy. I started with the software because the company gave me a one year access while I was in school, and I brought the knowledge I acquired with it to my employers. It is a great way of promoting the software and giving students a great tool for their resume at the same time.

Avantages

Tableau’s productivity suite allows you to connect it to all data sources we’re already using in a matter of minutes. This maximized our analysts' productivity, moving their tasks from the mostly mechanical to the analytical.
It is incredibly easy to use; it is intuitive even for non-savvy users, and doesn’t took time, programming knowledge, or expensive training for our team to get a grasp on it.
Its collaboration features facilitate group analytics, and at the same time ensure that all team members are on the same page. The best part about it is the devoted mobile app for different devices, which allowed our sales representatives to work from wherever they are.
Last, but not least, their tech support team is unmatched in service and follow-up.

Inconvénients

Even with all the flexible options they provide, it's still a pricey solution. However, it is totally worth it

Probabilité de recommander le produit

Turned an average Excel user into a data analytics pro

Publié le 09.11.2017
Provenance de l'avis : SoftwareAdvice

We used Tableau to combine over 2 million lines of health claims data from Excel spreadsheets with approximately 85 data points per line. Tableau made it possible for our team to compare each line of data and locate the specific lines of data that indicated problems within the coding for health benefits. After locating the issues and fixing the coding, we used Tableau to compare the data again and validate that the potential issues were corrected. Without the use of a tool like Tableau, our comparison process would have taken weeks longer, and would have been less effective.

Avantages

Able to gather large pieces of data from multiple spreadsheets and combine them to create a cohesive picture
Flexibility in creating different types of reports and graphs for sharing with a variety of audiences
Overall, most functions were easy to learn, and once the graphs were created, it was easy to copy them and alter them for additional purposes

Inconvénients

Some of the functions were difficult to master quickly--had a higher learning curve than I would have liked for some tasks

Best Self Service Business Intelligence tool

Publié le 02.04.2018

Avantages

For Data Scientists and advanced users, Tableau is the most efficient and powerful. Tableau offers different kinds of data visualizations and connectors to load once data.
Tableau has 3 offerings. A free version with limited functionality. Then Tableau desktop and Tableau Online are available on subscription pricing model, which is way cheaper when compared to the traditional pricing.
Tableau is a mature and stable product with a wide user base. Tableau is widely used in most companies i have worked for.
Tableau introduced a new data engine called Hyper recently, which promises faster performance.
Overall Tableau is a great product with bright future. In our company we leveraged it well.

Inconvénients

Tableau is for sophisticated users. It requires training to get the best out of it. In our company we hired an experience consultant, who trained us and worked with us, so that we learnt all kinks of the tool.

Good data visualization tool

Publié le 29.06.2018

Avantages

a) Easy to use and make data to tell stories about its insights
b) Visualization is very clear and with the help of dropdown its make your life easier to drill down the granularity of data and you can see the different metrics and KPI in the same chart.
c) The various chart especially the heat chart is very useful if you are dealing with the geographical data.
d) Apart from the data visualization, the transformation data with the help of SQL Queries is very useful in it.
e) Data shaping you can mold the data as per your need but to a certain extent.

Inconvénients

a) Data bending is a major concern, sometimes the view get lost or the data you want to show isn't correct number
b) Location of Extracts, the extract get misplaced although the extract is at the location then also it is not showing the view.
c) When you try to make twbx file to twb file then views and data get misplaced or vanish from the report

Probabilité de recommander le produit

Easy, intuitive and quick data visualizations.

Publié le 02.03.2018
Provenance de l'avis : Capterra

This has become a go-to reporting solution for our team.

Avantages

Tableau is a very intuitive data visualization tool. We use both the desktop version, for report development, and Tableau server for publishing reports for our staff. The tool is very flexible when it comes to data connections - you can connect to almost anything. The interface is very clean and once you get the hang of dimensions and measures you will be on your way to becoming a data viz master. Tableau has come along way with their ability to join data sources. This has been a major area of improvement in the last release. Tableau has a huge online support community and the few times I have had to use their customer support it was exceptional.

Inconvénients

There are times I wish you could do more statistical analysis in Tableau. They have some built in components for this, but in my opinion this is one of the weaker areas of the tool.

Transform Data Into Staggering Visuals, With A Bit of Work

Logiciel utilisé tous les mois pendant 6 à 12 mois
Publié le 19.06.2018

Avantages

There are many different ways to visualize data. From creating dashboards in Excel, to creating your own customized code in Javascript, there are options for anybody based on how simple they want the experience to be and how complex they want their product to be. Tableau provides a great middle point. It isn't as customize-able as pure programming would be, but it's far more user-friendly. It plays well with lots of other programs, including the Google Drive suite and WordPress. It has varying price-points, based on your individual needs. I'm currently using it to make a vast database visible and accessible to users with just a couple mouse clicks. Tableau is capable of doing a LOT.

Inconvénients

Don't be fooled by its clean interface and simple online tutorials. If you want to do some interesting stuff with Tableau, it's going to take some patience and know-how. There's a wonderful online community of people who are willing to answer your questions and offer examples, but at the end of the day, Tableau projects tend to take some TLC to get to the finish line.

Also, because this is the middle-point between custom coding and incredibly basic transformations, some of the most extreme options are not available. For example, I wanted to allow users of my visualization to select a data subset for their own needs and export it as a .csv to their device. While exporting is an option in Tableau, the organization of the exported data is wonky, and can't be customized. Instead of getting the rows and columns in the order I'd like them, users are getting the data in alphabetical order. This isn't a problem, per se, seeing as the users can easily sort the data out themselves in a program like Excel. I just wish I could have figured that out for them.

Tableau is powerful, but it's not all-powerful. Then again, if you're not looking to get to crazy, it's going to fit your needs perfectly, and simply.

Probabilité de recommander le produit

Incredibly powerful software that does many things with ease, but still requires code writing for more complex analysis

Publié le 23.12.2015
Provenance de l'avis

This software is by far the easiest BI software I've used (tried Zoho, Excel Pivot tables, Microsoft BI, and many others). It's a slam dunk for drag-and-drop analysis of lots of things. But if you want to do more complicated analysis of what you're looking at beyond face-value graphs of plotting X and Y axis, you're going to need to learn how to perform some custom coding. Fortunately, there are LOTS of free guides available through community forums and online blogs. But it takes time to read those, and unless you're trying to do exactly what the examples show, it takes quite a bit more time to adapt said examples to whatever is specific about your scenario. The price isn't cheap at something like $1000/yr, so it's no small investment. But from every other software I've seen, I'd buy this over the others.

Avantages

Super simple drag-and-drop interface for plotting out info.
Massive online community forums packed with information and examples
Huge amount of content produced by others on various sites (blogs and such).
Ability to quickly open someone else's example worksheet to get "hands on" with the data from their examples (as opposed to just reading about it).

Inconvénients

Like every other software I've seen, there's no escaping the need to code custom functions for complex or deeper analysis
The price tag is fairly high - likely cost prohibitive for a small business who is just looking to try and analyze data that their POS software won't do for them, or that Excel Pivot tables just can't quite seem to cover.

Support client

Organizing of a data as easy as breathing

Logiciel utilisé toutes les semaines pendant 6 à 12 mois
Publié le 20.05.2018

Avantages

Do you want to have a prosperous company, where everyone knows what is going on now in the market and in their working place? If your answer is yes then you will need to pay your attention to Tableau Desktop, the software that expands the horizons of your abilities. With this wizard, you will be able to get actionable insight fast for revealing everyday opportunities, connect to more data on premise in the cloud, answer deeper questions by building powerful calculations from existing data and put your data on the map for answering the question «where» as well as «why». Furthermore, by using Tableau Desktop, you will be able to take data offline or bring it in-memory in seconds, create your design, customize, and publish optimized dashboards for desktop, tablet, and phone. Also, I think that it is important that Tableau's software moves as fast as you do and secure your data on a higher level. Maybe, it is a reason that the award-winning research scientists, design gurus, and visualization experts choose Tableau.

Inconvénients

Overall, Tableau is the Ferrari of BI visualization, but even if so, I think that the price is a little too high, it will be difficult for a mid-sized company to subscribe. Also, when too many filters are placed on the dashboard, it can be very slow so I would advise users to limit the number of filters to use. Otherwise, the program works fast and smooth.

Solid BI Software - Can Create Effective Reporting That is Nice to Look At

Publié le 17.04.2018

Avantages

We were able to pick this software up and run with it pretty quickly, which was great. We use it to build several dashboards and report that are shared internally. We've directly connected it to several SQL & Access databases to achieve this. It's pretty user friendly and everything we output from it is pretty slick looking.

The "server" version is also nice as it enables us to publish reports to the web and share within the company. These server versions are interactive but not editable to ensure data accuracy when shared. No risk of someone trying to get creative and destroying your work.

Inconvénients

There are a lot of updates that take up some of our IT resources. The support is helpful but can be rather slow to respond. It can struggle with larger datasets. There are some workarounds, but it's not how they explained it during the sales process.

Probabilité de recommander le produit

Still the best on its class

Publié le 11.05.2018
Provenance de l'avis : SoftwareAdvice

Overall, a very good product. It has a free trial license, so I recommend a trial to anyone interested in data visualizations.

Avantages

I am a longtime user of Tableau an I think I should update my previous review.
Some years ago, Tableau was already a top-contender. Starting from this position, it has enlarged the list of compatible databases, and the capabilities to mix and match data from different sources.
In the last weeks, Tableau software has changed is pricing scheme, and now it offers a reduced-price "viewer" license. In the past, you were forced to buy "the more costly "publisher license" even fro viewers.

Inconvénients

The palette of available visualizations is the same since too many years. (e.g. it is missing radial plots)

Probabilité de recommander le produit

Took our data visualizations and analytics to a whole new level!

Publié le 07.02.2018
Provenance de l'avis : Capterra

Completely changed the way our company uses data. Increased visibility and ability of managers to accurately see what is happening in their areas. It makes it easy when business questions come up to quickly build a visualization to get at the answers.

Avantages

One of the most powerful tools that I've used. It has helped us answer so many business questions. You will never go back to Excel. It does everything Excel does and 100 times more. The power of being able to connect directly to your database, live, and quickly build dashboards and trends is amazing.

Inconvénients

There is a steep learning curve in understanding how calculations work, levels of detail, etc. But if you know database structure and are able to make charts in Excel, you'll quickly figure it out.

Probabilité de recommander le produit

Allows for the creation of very aesthetically pleasing, yet useful dashboards for your stakeholders.

Publié le 27.06.2018

Avantages

Tableau is a very effective way to gather, analyze, and present data to stakeholders. As a user, there are many options database options that Tableau can read from. Tableau offers many different types of graphs and visualization techniques. There are even formulas that allow for data manipulation within Tableau that is not reflected in the original source. Tableau is also so widely used that finding educational materials on the internet ie YouTube and forums is very simple. Once a user has a basic understanding, creating professional dashboards that can be presented to the end user is quick and simple.

Inconvénients

Though Tableau has copious options, features, bells, and whistles, it takes some getting used to. The program is user friendly, but setting aside some time to learn how to effectively use the features is strongly recommended.

Support client

Great solution for data visualization

Publié le 07.11.2017
Provenance de l'avis : Capterra

Having my dashboards published and being able to get to the most crucial KPI's when in a negotiation with a vendor, is what has given me the most value in my current position. Also, being able to review the productivity of my procurement team is key to my day to day operation.

Avantages

I was having a hard time with our ERP that needed to generate reports, then messing with them on Excel so that I could get some graphics and valuable data to make purchasing decisions, since implementing Tableau I have my Dashboards published and I'm able to access data on the go. This has impacted my work so that we are making better decisions when it comes to purchasing and procurement.

Inconvénients

I only think that the learning curve is pretty steep, not that it's terribly complicated, but you need some patience and skills to get the reports you need, the availability of tutorials and resources online makes this way easier.

10.0 and Online changed my mind

Publié le 08.09.2016

Avantages

Intuitive to pick up. Lots of control in formatting and adjustung without having to edit every single cell with some picayune, obscure widget or code. Beautifully designed graphical choices, making the final presentation easy to develop. Online's extract and updates scheduler removes the need for the reporting server layer. Responsive technical support.

Inconvénients

Working with nulls is tricky. Creating calculations is "so easy" that incorrect aggregations can create errored results. With 10, alot of my issues with the software have been resolved. But this is not a heavy hitter for deep statistical work. This is a final presentation layer, so the back-end build needs to work with the business to define the views which will be pulled into Tableau. At that point, the end user (who is not a statistician or analyst) can really play around with an appealing, responsive interface withrilldown capabilities. But "self-service" analytics...it really isn't, not if your data is messt, or requires transformative work - which most does. Tableau needs clean data to work with.

To Tableau or not to Tableau

Publié le 12.06.2017
Provenance de l'avis : SoftwareAdvice

I enjoyed learning Tableau and working with it across different sources to create dashboards that really help visual people be able to see and understand the different data on hand. Data is non-tangible and can be a challenge to understand. This is a great resource across industries. Such a technology cannot go unnoticed or unrecommended.

Avantages

Ease of use, availability of instructional materials from beginners to the learning community in videos and in forum format, retrieving data in raw format for Excel vs. sending IT a request to add a report into a system, great support from configuration and onwards, looks beautiful!

Inconvénients

On a minor scale, there are some quirks between updates that kind of "update" what you're working on so sometimes the project gets glitches. Can't wait for real-time connection online to data sources aside from the scheduled refreshes. More customizable elements for the design.

Probabilité de recommander le produit

is a tool that helps me organize my work, it has many graphs and maps

Publié le 04.05.2018

Avantages

I can interconnect it with any database, driver, excel, text, the data is more accurate, you can make graphs easily and quickly, you can show data on maps with exact location, by states, municipalities, you can make graphs with data in days, years, months, you can make calendars and multiple help functions for the presentation of a work, I like the Dashboards, which you can place in the location that suits you, you can use a filter for all the graphics that you will use in the Dashboards

Inconvénients

when saving many times it gives you an error and does not allow you to save the changes made, losing all the information already made, since you do not have an Internet connection you can not update the data, if you change the name of the database you are using it recognizes you and eliminates all the added data.

Support client

Most powerful visualization tool but steep learning curve

Publié le 17.05.2016

Avantages

Tableau is a powerful desktop analytics software which allows the most customizable and sophisticated analytics I've seen after having used Qliksense, Qlikview, and Domo. Almost anything you can image you can create, including sophisticated drill downs, color coding, correlated charts, and more. As I started learning Tableau I was consistently impressed by how deep the functionality of the product is and how I was able to create compelling, interactive visualizations to allow stakeholders to self-serve analytics.

Inconvénients

Unfortunately the power of tableau brings a lot of complexity. It's not the type of software you can just click around and figure out so people who use it regularly do need to do a significant amount of training, and depending on their software proficiency the learning curve can be quite steep. The product, as a desktop software (I didn't use the online version), is starting to feel dated: you still have to save files and the software does crash every so often causing lost work, and you still have to deal with the annoyance of file management.

Probabilité de recommander le produit

Decent product but terrible support and awful sales staff

Logiciel utilisé tous les jours pendant 1 à 5 mois
Publié le 04.06.2018
Provenance de l'avis : Capterra

very little, terrible customer service.

Avantages

Overall, the product itself has given us what we need but dealing with the support has been a nightmare.

Definitely test using their trial offer. We found the integration to be fairly straightforward and were able to get up and running after only a couple of hours of work.

The product has some UI issues but is robust and functions well for our needs. If you buy, just hope that you don't have to deal with customer service or a sales rep.

Inconvénients

Our sales associate couldn't have been any worse. He didn't have a ton of product knowledge, would say he was going to do something and not do it and came across as a sleazy, double charging us and not sending a refund.

In general, I have just spent way too much time chasing the support team and sales team to get a response. There is zero internal communication and depending who you talk to you will be told a different answer.

Example, after our purchase we received a broken URL for our authorization code which seemed like a very minor issue but took more than a week to resolve and led to more than a month of headaches and issues.

It has been super disappointing and I would not recommend this product to anyone. The headaches far out way any advantages this product might have over other providers.

1.0/10

One of the most complete programs for conducting Business Intelligence

Publié le 12.05.2018
Provenance de l'avis : SoftwareAdvice

But it is a very easy to use program, with many tools, many options to customize all types of visualizations, you can perform calculations within the same interface of the program, it is a tool with a lot of potential, which is constantly updated

Avantages

It is a very versatile program, it allows you to make different presentations, from simple graphics to multivariate maps. It has the possibility to connect to different databases, which makes it a very powerful tool.

Inconvénients

sometimes it is difficult to understand the location of the variables to achieve the visualization that is desired; On the other hand, sometimes map-type visualizations do not present as many details as one would like, or the union of several spatial-type files causes the program to occupy a lot of RAM, so it is necessary to have a good computer to improve the conditions of program operation

Dynamic and Powerful insights for quick Business decisions making

Logiciel utilisé Autre pendant plus de deux ans
Publié le 16.06.2017
Provenance de l'avis : SoftwareAdvice

Anyone can analyze data with the tools intuitive drag & drop products. You do not need to learn programming skills to understand the software solution

Avantages

Par above the Traditional Business BI Tools, easily could rate top 3 above the rest
Easily adaptable by any organisation in very less time,
Dont need any technical skill or coding to build any dashboard
Dashboards are dynamic, easily shareable (Deploy on server, share using the reader, Subscribe periodical to your mail box, View it on smartphones using app)
Connects to multiple different kind of data sources, methods (Extract / live / refresh automatically by scheduling)
Can join multiple data by custom query as well
Built forecasting dashboards for market prediction,

Inconvénients

When connected to huge data source performance of dashboards are impacted
Need a better back end designing
every time any chart is clicked entire process huge time to execute the whole data query which impacts the time
Hangs / hitting query again and again on back-end database which impacts the ETL Process

Probabilité de recommander le produit

The connection of all the business directions of yours

Publié le 29.05.2018

Avantages

There are really a lot of different things that I like so much in this business intelligence software of Tableau. First of all, it is a huge number of possible integrations from different programs which contain the statistic of the different departments of your company, like CRM systems, Excel tables and so on. So I could easily upload all the information inside this software, put it on one dashboard and see everything in one place. Also, there are a very convenient interface and well-realized automatic-reporting system.

Inconvénients

The dashboard on which you can see all the information that you need in my opinion requires revision regarding the way of visualization of this data. There is lack of popular illustrations of the statistic that is popular for most of the people.