- Easy to search/find documents especially drawings with the most current versions
- The fact that you can see messages from/to other team members is useful when you have large teams especially if a team member leaves the project
- Documents and mails cannot be deleted for accuracy of project records
- Unlimited project users can be added to use the system once the Organization has registered
- Not widely used by Subtrades/Owners so there is more training required. Other systems such as Procore are more widely used and don't require as much training
- The fact that messages/notifications can't be grouped as conversations in Outlook makes reading all of the messages very tedious and time consuming
- Tracking & closing of RFI's is difficult due to how the status is recorded ie, if the Engineer responds asking for some additional information on an RFI so that they can respond, the system automatically indicated that the RFI has been responded to; it is not possible to generate report in order to know Organizations the RFIs been distributed to using other mail types
- Tracking and generating report for received and issued drawings and packages is difficult, it is crucial to be able to have accurate transmittal information that can easily be generated on a daily basis for document management / project records without having the need to maintain a manual log especially for Contractors managing upstream and downstream flow of information (documents from which Organization and to which Organizations the documents have been issued to with complete document and transmittal details)
If you're an EPC company it'd be hard to go wrong with Aconex. We ended up selecting another platform, but it was a fierce competition. In the end, we opted for one with more market-ready integrations with other tools that we currently have in place (to avoid more siloes) and that also had a UI/UX that was more intuitive for creating processes and finding files/records (viz. a modular-tool setup). There were other considerations, but bottom line, Aconex is a solid platform that really offers a wealth of value for standardizing and automating key processes. They'll definitely be around for a while.
- Clean UI/UX experience
- Configurable workflows created on front-end by user
- Metadata based system allows for rich tagging and organization of files (Document Register) and other types of correspondence (Mail Types)
- Views can be saved (and shared) for filtered searches that take place a lot (e.g. RFIs or Pending RFIs)
- Mail types offer extreme configurability to formalize/standardize certain types of exchanges between parties that require user input or approval (e.g. Daily Logs, Meeting Minutes, RFIs)
- Can pay per user or go with unlimited user option and pay a percentage/fee based on how much company commits to running through Aconex for set period of time; having options are nice though
- Reinvest 20% into R&D
- Support Central contains outstanding documentation
- Great mobile apps with wide-functionality
- Takes some mental training to know which Register to go look in, whether that's the Document or Mail Register. In my experience, this was because currently, our company stores RFIs as documents/files, whereas Aconex treats them as a Mail Type; so looking for an RFI requires searching in the Mail Register (since it's a type of correspondence) not the Document Register (note: Aconex can also handle RFI process as a document, I believe buy sending it around via Workflows, in which case it *would* be a file located in the Document Register)
- Meta data is the smartest way to organize big data however it *does* require a solid tagging system; some companies may not have this (but I'm sure Aconex would assist with this setup)
- A few Auzzy-isms are distracting to look over (e.g. Tender vs. Bid)
- Has technical potential to integrate with other software/tools through APIs but not many market-ready connections that can be demonstrated
- Almost handles entirety of project life-cycle, but a little weak on POs (i.e. not a P2P tool, Procure to Pay) and integrating the Connected Cost tool with other ERPs (note: see previous remark, it *is* technically feasible)
* Always get the latest version of drawings
* Can track previous versions of drawings
* Nothing can ever be deleted
* Being able to view all the mail that has been sent and received from your company
* Do not have to save anything on your own hard drive
* Reporting tools are very useful
* Being able to create excel spreadsheets from Document Register
* Can access Aconex from any electronic device which has the internet
* Project Directory list
* Global Directory list
* Mutiple File Upload
* Being able to set up Projects how you want.
* List of projects to be able to access easily - when invited onto
* Organising mail into Types - makes it easier to sort.
* Multiple fields to search for documentation and drawings eg. Subject, Date, From Organisation, Recipients etc.
* Help instructions and videos are excellent.
* Help Desk is excellent
* Issues with teaching consultants and sub-contractors on how to upload documents into the document register- ie. education
* Sometimes time delay in viewing and downloads
* Site going down.
* Generally happy with the product.
* 95% of the time the Aconex Helpdesk are very knowledgeable. However occasionally I have come across someone that is not sure about an answer but all operators have always been very friendly and helpful.
The best practices in the documentary field for my daily job.
Document management is a key aspect for the efficiency and productivity of organizations and ACONEX has been fundamental for the magnitude of the project in which I currently work.
Aconex fully complies with internal needs and also allows the organization to be up-to-date with ISO 30300 and the best practices in the documentary field.
Documentary management how "the strategies, tools and methods used to capture, organize, store, preserve and disseminate content and documents related to organizational processes, is much easier to achieve with the vital support generated by having Aconex with this tool .
It is difficult for me to trace - match the documents to each other for topics.
While there is a chance to download spredsheets, the is quite limit the report, could be better considering something like dashboard or something similar for all the categories of the documents.
This software is very powerful for collaboration and workflow.
Aconex is easily to get up and running and is also relatively easy to use. The custom mail form functionality combined with the ability to set automatic distribution lists for different mail types has been a very powerful tool for corresponding on contractual items.
Aconex is a large company with all users utilizing the same interface. Because of this Aconex is very easy to implement. The down side is that proprietary nomenclature or specific document "Types" may or may not be allowed. In our case, we wanted a general document type for "Meetings" where we use a cascade to further delineate whether the document is a Agenda, Presentation, Handout, Notes etc.. Aconex has a type set up for "Meeting Notes" which we felt was too specific and did not address agendas and other meeting material. Aconex escalated the request to have a Type = Meetings or Meeting Material and our request was denied.
Ease of tracking documents in workflow and ease of transmitting documents to and from outside contractors.
I like the ability to configure the metadata. I also like the search and retrieve tools. Having the workflow/review document feature built in is also a time saver.
The review documents tool set needs to include a tool to export comments and save as a file. Currently, this procedure must be done outside of Aconex. Also, the workflow process should allow the administrator to add additional people to the workflow after it starts. This should not be a separate workflow within an active workflow that is tied to an active workflow participant (although when a user needs that feature it is useful but not typical).
The software also needs a better approach to storing the native file and corresponding pdf file together. Using history is not an effective method (and confusing to typical users) and giving either the native file or pdf file the same document number with a suffix (or some other means of numbering) can also be confusing. Both files should have the exact same document number.
I greatly appreciate Aconex's flexibility to adapt to policies and procedures you may already have. It does not force you into one way of doing things but at the same time doesn't require significant up-front configuration to get started.
I also like that Aconex is always improving and adding significant and useful new features often.
The only real con I have is one that can be managed but would be nice to have tighter controls on. Aconex does not offer the ability to restrict the permisison to change the document status (approved, approved as noted, rejected, dfrat, etc.) when superceding with a new version. By default it uses the previous version status for the new version status and if you forget to select a new status you could end up with the draft of the next revision of the document showing as approved in the document register. If you use workflows to approve your documents you can always go back and verify if a document was actually approved by the proper people but to do that requires a few extra mouse clicks.
Aconex is a good online collaboration tool that aids in the overall maintenance of the day to day running of a project.
The implementation of using metadata to tag documents, makes searching easy. Searching within the document contents is quite helpful. The new online viewer has made online document reviews a lot easier to process and keep track of. The Mail module is an overlooked plus that assists in keeping all of the project communications in one place. The online training videos have improved a lot and are essential in getting projects up and running.
The price is high compared to some of the other collaboration solutions and this keeps of from using Aconex more than we do now. Some of the administrative restrictions prevent the organization administrators from being as effective as they need to be (i.e. can't remove users from a project, can't change labels of metadata, can't create and add our own document statuses or document types, dashboard reporting is restrictive and really should offer more). The workflow reporting is limited and doesn't allow much customization. Sometimes our designated Aconex system consultants just quit or disappear and the communication surrounding it all is sometimes non existent.
What I like most about this software is how easy it is to use. I also like the quality standards it offers with recording every change that is made within the system. The dashboard has all the relevant information needed to make your daily tasks easy to manage. I also enjoy having the ability to process documentation en masse with the bulk upload function. The drag and drop feature for uploading multiple files is also appealing. Utilizing this software for our document control functions and repository has been the best experience in all my document management software experience.
I would like for org admins to have the capability to add their own projects into the software module. While I understand that to have the ease of use features on this software, it may be required for Aconex to create the projects in the module, it would be nice if org admins had that ability. But it has not been a real hindrance, since the projects were created fairly quickly once the request was made.
Fast and very intuitive user experience (if the fields are designed properly by the docuement control team in your enterprise)
Fast access. Very easy way to look for the documents. Easy to upload new documents. Secure and safe information. 24 hours a day working.
Improve the module of reviewing documents, it must be without Java, because Java is too slow and have many troubles, maybe you can do the same as you did in the multi upload module. The team that supports our projects must be people who really worked on real projects all over the world, maybe you need to include some Document Controllers that used Aconex for a long time, and includes they in your company. Most of the people in the support team actually didn't know how a real project work using Aconex.
Reduce document controller, reducing email communication with large files as well. Centralization for all document control management.
Aconex is used by all entities involved for our project. This make document control management efficient and productive.
The best thing about Aconex is the document register : unlimited size of files, easy access to previous version of a file, link to all transmittal used to exchange the file and, the search is powerful. Easy and fast to update files for all document register that have already received a file.
Having to ask for a report of our distribution list, we should have this accessibility. The Insights should be editable by the project Management to represent what we should see.
- Allows everyone to be working from the same revision of documents
- Captures all communications and documents in one single place
- Makes everyone accountable as no information/communications are deleted across the life of the project
- Workflow function allows easy tracking of approval and review processes
- Uptake by project team can be difficult to push
- Accountability as a result of communications/mails and documents never being deleted leads to a reluctance from some contractors and design team members to use the software even when mandated
- Cost management function in the past has not been on the same level as the document and information management platforms
A lot of simple organizations and as such is easy to use. For example: a basic screen in the form of a table with all the necessary data.
There is no table listing all design reviews. For instance: the rows would be entered in the codes - the names of all the designs and the column numbers of the revisions. The dates of the revisions would be entered in the fields of their cross-section. Nevertheless, whether the table will be updated automatically (based on the code and the data of the document itself) or the document controller on the project will do so. This would easily and quickly find the required revision of a document that has huge number on large projects.
Second: notes when my tasks are approaching should be on INBOX screen in the form of a light signal - a bright-colored button, because the inbox screen is open for most of the time.
- Use from start to finish on the project
- Control of tendering module
- Clear document review process under the workflow module
- Mail correspondence can be controlled under mail types
- Continual document register automatically updated on document transmittal
Users have the ability to create a project from the tender phase through the the completion of the project. There is the ability to create tenders, coordinate correspondence, share and store documentation, and defect management.
Difficult in getting subcontractors to sign up for a user account. There are also issues for project administrators having the ability to remove temporary / users no longer involved in the project. The mobile app is difficult to use.
I use to manage my documents very well and our client is happy with its performance.
helps us to organized our documents before inputting to the system. It changes our way keeping and managing our own files and adopting to non aconex projects.
Easy to understand and straight forward. Save search helps users to identify easily their documents. Confidentiality of records makes the management feel happy that they can keep the conversation on a level of management.
Accounts per project location need to be consider. and the Global ID interface must be develop.
some administrators of aconex forgot to match the numbering as per project vs the auto generation of document number. some of the columns has no option to sort.
It helps to reduce times and make works easier.
The workflow submission is very practical and suitable for project engineering. It reduce paper usage and helps to monitor the progress. The uploads and downloads file is unlimited which is very good for drawing submission in CAD format. It is also summarized the submission status because every submission is reviewed by many trades. Good job Aconex.
During workflow submission process, there is a bug which appear unidentified codes. It required to refresh page but it will return to the beginning and we have to start all over again. Aconex should fix these issues.
The consistent way that each project is set up, makes for a good user experience generally.
Some PMs don’t use the tools properly. It is becoming impossible to work out what your actual tasks really are. RFIs get sent to everyone on the project team. Queries are more like statements, it takes longer to work out what the question really is, than it does to work out the answer. People should think about who they are sending queries “to” and who is just cc’d. Using the please respond by options should mean there is an extra onus on the initiator to close it out, or chase it up.
Aconex helps us work on a global scale with many clients
Provides a global platform that allows many user to work together. Easy to add new files to the system. All mail is kept in the Mail module and it can't be erased, so you can't lose any correspondence. Easy to create workflow templates. Easy to run reports on workflows and RFI's. No size limit on the files. It functions like it was advertised and more.
Have to use the mail form titles that Aconex has pre-loaded into the system. Sometimes can get confused when working in the backend of the system where you might need to make a change.
I use it daily to upload documents that are transmitted to the Client and Vendor. It will also be used for auditing purposes, reporting and permanent document storage.
That most Clients and Vendors/Customers are beginning to see the value of this software and will use it making it an easy way to transmit and receive documents.
Another great thing about this software is I can log in from anywhere, not just my workplace.
I am not sure there is anything I don't like about this software. I guess if the system is down is what I may like least but it is usually back up and running in a short amount of time.
It is the solid single-point-of-truth for large, complex programs. It integrates information flow (correspondence), documents, packaged deliverables, cost, field inspections and BIM together very well. It span from bid/tender phase all the way through design, construction, test/commissioning and close-out. If implemented properly with industry best practice processes, it can significantly reduce risk on large, complex programs, especially those with multiple contract and technical interfaces.
Some of the administration features are somewhat cumbersome on implementations with a large number of users, especially at the organizational administration level.
As with any software implementation, training and institutionalization is one of the hardest and most important aspects to be successful. There are a few features (like RFI closeout) that make it a little more difficult to institutionalize such that report data remains in tact.
Benefits are many as described earlier. Be able to have a process flow of all projects saving time, reducing cost, be able to identify issues and commenting of design documentation.
Be able to retrieve documentation easily and support from Aconex is great. It also offered process flow in project delivery which is clear to project teams. The email like within the software is easy to understand for all users and if that person knows how to send an email he or she knows Aconex.
Cannot think of any. However, the cost of the software might be a little pricey. One improvement that I would like to see with the software is a better tagging routine that is able to tagged files and become searchable. Currently searches are still very rudimentary. The BIM viewver tab should also could be improved adding more features to it or better still have a full feature BIM viewer and could reconize RVT as well as Bently 3D files without having to convert to IFCs.
As i am working in a field of Document management . This software will help me a lot in my future job profile.
As i am frequent user on Aconex. helping me much easiest way to handle the document how i required.
Document search and bulk upload option is much easier to handle
There is still more clarification or home work required on report taking.
For example in supplier module, if we required to get a report of Document received date and document return back from supplier/Subcontractor/Designer in one step it is not possible - here we get the result only if we search the document with history. - for one document this option is ok but we need to search large number of document it will take a lot of time to get the actual report
Aconex is one of the useful tool in document control. If used with full efficiency, we can trace the history of not just the document but the project itself. It already has the workflow and its own transmittal
We can access anywhere. We can show traceability on the history of each document. We can conveniently create transmittal to transmi the document. The workflow is functional and worl well in the project.
Like the other software it is also has its downtime, sometimes it is slow, sometime some functionality is not working especially when doing the bulk upload.
Collation and capture of specific information is far easier than ordinary email systems.
Ability to track and locate correspondence is probably the most useful aspect of Aconex, storage of documents is reasonably straightforward.
Reports cannot be tailored to suit my requirements as they cannot be specific enough. One problem is the RFI trails, once someone has responded there is a danger then as this becomes no longer overdue or outstanding. This is most critical if the response is an automated one. There needs to be a method to reverse it.
Used Aconex on a project where the project team were located in multiple time zones and countries - made it easy to share information without worrying about the size of the files.
1) Internet based, Project material can be access by multiple teams simultaneously from anywhere in the world
2) Ability to upload, share and store large files
1) The search feature is very particular - could be improved
2) Takes multiple steps to upload and attach files/drawings