1 529 avis

Microsoft SQL Server

Relational database management system for data analytics

4,6 /5 (1529 avis) Donnez votre avis !

• Fonctionnalités
des utilisateurs recommandent cette application
1 529 avis
Jerry A.

• Probabilité de recommander le produit 10.0 /10

Ridiculously powerful and full of features we do not make use of. We love it, and cannot do...

Publié le 02/07/2018

This software practically runs our facility. Without it, we couldn't keep track of our animals or our people (staff, members, donors). To us, this software is well worth the costs involved.

Avantages

SQL Server is just so incredibly powerful, most users probably do not know how much it can do, or how much it can handle. In our type of organization, we deal with people and animals. We rely on donors and members for funding, we track everything about our animals from health issues, to medications, to physical exercise. Every one of our systems relies on, as the backbone, SQL Server. This software is powerful, versatile, and reliable. With pretty much every department of ours needing some type of database, standardizing to SQL Server was just the best move. It can handle it all. It can track it all. And it can report on it all for us. To date, we use it for: our Accounting software, our donor tracking, our membership tracking, our animal tracking (includes tracking from what zoo or aquarium animals came, their medical history, their exercise history, their diet, their location in our facility, their trainers, their behavioral issues/environmental factors), our vet's digital imaging systems, our guest services scheduling, our security systems (surveillance, door locks), our water quality and hvac sysytems logging and controls, our point of sale system (for admissions and food court and ecommerce), and our facility management software (maintenance and IT requests). This system does indeed handle everything we need it to.

Inconvénients

You need a lot of training to make the most of it. Or it could cost you a lot if you have to pay a developer to help you get the most out of your systems. Luckily a couple of us are really into databases, and we both have a lot of experience with SQL, we can do most things in-house. But still the amount of training we go through to keep current, or to keep learning is probably the biggest "problem" with this software. Most software packages, you can buy, setup, receive a few hours or a few days of training, and you'll be good to go. With SQL, if you intend to use it, to get the most of out it, you will need more extensive training, or to hire people to put in the work. It's not cheap. But it can help you accomplish so much if you put in the time.

Aníbal M.

• Probabilité de recommander le produit 7.0 /10

My experience with sql Server has been satisfactory, I have done punctual work.

Publié le 07/07/2018

I have worked several times with this software for different reasons I have been able to simplify developments thanks to the Transact-SQL so it has saved me programming time, the services that I have under my responsibility at work are stable, this gives confidence and tranquility for me and for my bosses, I made restorations in record time.

Avantages

This software has as its first advantage that it is a Microsoft product and has the full support of the company and the stability of a well-tested product. At the basic level, I find it very efficient, the sql responses are fast and there are almost no service interruptions, which is a point in its favor when I use it, I find the Transact-SQL language that is used very powerful, I was able to assign commercial processes of the application in the database that allows multiple applications to use them and it is not necessary to program these functions in each application, the SQL server administration tools are very well thought to be all in a Microsoft environment, the integration is perfect, they are very intuitive to find new functions, they do not require prior knowledge, what is important to train new staff, another thing that I like about this software is the scalability that can start with a small database and grow, in A past project had transactional tables that inserted millions of records daily. I like security, it is possible to assign specific permissions to different users who perform different activities within the same database, this makes me trust the product.

Inconvénients

The least I like is undoubtedly the cost SQL-Server does not have a good cost-benefit ratio, other brands offer better benefits in this regard, another point is the high consumption of RAM, it is necessary to allocate a large amount of resources for this And to guarantee the quality of the service, until now I have not found a hosting provider that offers me a PHP server with Sql-server. This stopped once a new development for a client was disappointing to me. It is difficult to learn in a particular way, the free versions of this software are very limited and the certifications are expensive, which reduces the interest when it is investigated.

• Probabilité de recommander le produit 9.0 /10

Easy to configure, difficult to master

Publié le 17/10/2018

Easily the most intuitive RDBMS software out of the box.

Avantages

The most noteworthy features of Microsoft SQL Server are the many tools and wizards that allow even novice users to get started by creating tables and views without extensive knowledge of relational databases. The query wizard can even assist with creating queries with its intuitive IDE. These features lower the intimidating barrier to entry that accompanies other relational database software such as Oracle or MySQL. There is even a free version call Express that allows anyone to dabble in the software before committing to the product.

Aside from the user assisted features, the other appealing aspect of SQL Server is the integration with other Microsoft products that are probably already running in an organization. SQL Server interfaces with Active Directory allowing for easy user management so appropriate levels of database access can be allotted via group membership. This is useful because even something simple like user access management in another RDBMS may present a learning curve for anyone that is not a DBA. With SQL Server a general IT resource could manage user access with an existing knowledge of Active Directory providing more time to focus on core database design.

Inconvénients

SQL Server carries a high cost subscription based licensing cost. The user assistance features provide a great introduction to relational databases, but there is still a significant and continuous learning curve. Databases continue to evolve with industry need. Anyone that interacts significantly with SQL Server during day to day database or application design may need to consider yearly training to keep up with all the changes.

• Secteur d'activité: Hôpitaux et soins de santé

• Probabilité de recommander le produit 8.0 /10

SQL Server 2016 - Features Review

Publié le 20/12/2018

Overall experience with SQL server 2016 is very nice and excited in my perceptions due to Better support for memory optimzed tables, Built in JSON support, Stretch DB concepts, Query Store and dynamic temp db according to size and presence of CPU in the databases.

Avantages

In our project we have been migrated from Microsoft SQL Server 2008 to SQL server 2016 directly for all our databases & SSIS packages. There are many features that was available to use for the projects and some of those are:

1. Data was always encrypted, so less vulnerable to SQL injections and useful to take a backup when database is in motion. Prior version (Before SQL server 2016) support only when databases is in Rest.
2. Data/Software Migration is very useful from prior version without any issues or taking any time. It took only set of testing activities and 2 hours of trun around time to get it upgraded.
3. Very simillar like XML TSQL clause created in SQL 2005, in SQL 2016 JSON clause T-SQL has been created for JSON output from querying database objects.
4. In prior versions we have to wait for long running query to capture, however in SQL server 2016 ability to view the execution plan as the query is active on the system.
5. Strecth Database is a new concept that has been created and stored in Azure. However in the background it is shown as single databases for user views.

Inconvénients

Only I know very least number of disadvantages this MS SQL server 2016 is having:

1. Enterprise pricing may be costly as some of the organisation cant afford for the count of data they are having.
2 With the performance tuning, Microsoft SQL Server will be having some gobble resources.

Griffin B.
  • Secteur d'activité: Hôtellerie
  • Taille de l'entreprise: 1 001-5 000 employés

• Probabilité de recommander le produit 10.0 /10

SQL Server is the backbone of my life!

Publié le 04/02/2019

Overall, my experience with SQL Server is amazing! I am able to store all of our Las Vegas luxury casino data (gaming, hotel, food & beverage, entertainment, etc.) and query that for information that we then turn into automated or ad-hoc reports. These then go to the operators of the business as well as the executives who analyze the reports and make better decisions daily, weekly, and monthly. The goal is simple: just become better over time...better than you were last year, last month, last week. And SQL Server is the vehicle to empower your organization to find those valuable insights hiding in plain sight to do just that!

Avantages

I absolutely LOVE SQL Server. It is my favorite software to use because the possibilities for query-writing are endless. I would say this is the most reliable and flexible of all the database software I have ever used. SQL Server allows you to write in T-SQL (T = transact, SQL = structured query language), which means that you can create variables, use temp tables, and write code in a procedural format that runs akin to a module in other programming languages. We use SQL Server 2008 at work, though I am really loving the new features in the latest version (as of today) SQL Server 2016.

Overall, SQL Server is a platform for creating table schema, storing information, and then writing scripts (queries) to manipulate that data--to find insights that are useful to making better business decisions. The interface is easy to understand, the error-checking is strong (and actually tells you what is wrong). It doesn't hold your hand like other simplified coding languages, but it becomes very reliable and easy to use once you obtain a solid foundation in relational database theory and SQL language.

Inconvénients

Hmm...if I had to speak ill of SQL Server...I would probably say that it is a bit tricky to get up to speed quickly with. There's a lot to it, so to speak, so it's taken me the better part of five years working in the data analytics industry to finally say that I feel I am completely proficient in utilizing the software to its full potential. Topics such as query optimization remain my areas of biggest weakness. I can write a query to pull any kind of desired information; however, the art lies in being able to pull it quickly and with reasonable efficiency. If your query takes more than 15 minutes (or even hours!) to run, it's probably not written correctly and likely poses a major threat to the server you are connecting to (and tying up!) in the process. I would like more information in the software (GUIs, warnings, etc.) regarding poorly-written queries from an execution standpoint.

• Probabilité de recommander le produit 10.0 /10

Perfect for all types of workloads!

Publié le 04/04/2019

Have used SQL Server as a a Relational Database (RDBMS) for the past 15 years, primarily to support SAP based enterprise workloads. Microsoft's development of SQL Server has been fuelled by its largest customer - SAP, in order to provide better functionality to rival its competition (Oracle, DB2, Informix (who remembers this one?). I started with MSSQL 2000 and boy has it come a long way. MSSQL versions are denoted via the year and is still a practice till today, similar to how Microsoft denotes its Windows versions. To date, the latest version of MSSQL 2017 is also supported on SAP, and I am sure once MSSQL 2019 is released later this year it would also be certified by SAP.

Avantages

The review is based on my experience of using SQL Server as a database with SAP.

What I like about MSSQL :
- ACID compliant like any enterprise based RDBMS (Oracle, IBM DB2, SAP HANA)
- Runs well and scales well with commodity x86 hardware
- Various editions to suit customer needs and requirements. For example Express Edition for small workloads and is free, or all the way to Enterprise Edition for state-of-the-art functionality (High-Availability, Disaster Recovery etc. to prevent Single-Points-of-Failure). Its current functionality definitely rivals the existing enterprise RDBMS's
- Straightforward learning curve as it is Windows based. Unlike other RDBMS's (e.g. Oracle or DB2), administering a MSSQL DB is very easy GUI (SQL Server Management Studio) is very easy to use especially if coming from Oracle/DB2, or if you're learning from scratch
- Supports Linux (finally!) - MSSQL is no longer limited to the Windows platform, and Microsoft has released version on Linux to compete with the likes of Oracle, DB2, etc.

Inconvénients

Over my years of using MSSQL have encountered numerous bugs (performance issues, corrupted data, etc.) but these are normal with other RDBMS's (Oracle, DB2, SAP HANA, etc.) given the enterprise nature of the workloads. Can't really think of any other disadvantages.

Surender B.
  • Taille de l'entreprise: 11-50 employés

• Probabilité de recommander le produit 10.0 /10

Best DBMS tool for scalable enterprises

Publié le 16/05/2019

My overall experience is 100% satisfactory because of its robust feature.

I recommend this to all either its a large or small scale compan y because SQL server can handle large quantities of data and process it smoothly. Just loving it.

Avantages

Microsoft SQL server is one of the best database management system that provide top rated performance optimisation with SQL queries, below is the list of top highlights:

1. Richness of user interface that provides ease of use with cool features like dock able windows.

2. Intelligence window is prominent feature that saves a lot of development time up to large extent.

3. Code debugging and performance tuning with query flow maps is the best features that assures about code optimisation.

4. Microsoft SQL Server Agent is provided with this software and that runs the automatic jobs in very secure way and later we can track the statements executed.

5. We can filter out the records in SQL Server Agent interface based on our interest.

6. Code snippet manager makes it easy to write high standard code that is perfact for code convention.

7. Most prominent feature is that it can handle large quantities of data, runs automatic jobs with concurrent transactions.

8. At last it's a Microsoft product that provides a belief to users.

Inconvénients

I have been using SQL server from version 2012 to 2014 and never troubled with SQL server's performance in any way.

However I feel that error details must long descriptive when statement have some syntax error. Sometime its pathetic when we wants to know the exact error line but is hints the whole block of code instead of exact line number.

Otherwise Its a great product and happy with it.

• Secteur d'activité: Services financiers
  • Taille de l'entreprise: 1 001-5 000 employés

best of server

Publié le 25/09/2019

I have using this more than 5 years , by comparing with other server platforms sql server te best of easy use for developers as well as Administrators

Avantages

It was easy of access to manage SQL server agent can manage most required part with automate rather than doing manual

And also design with more user friendly compare with others

Inconvénients

While queries of data some times have to convert it to tostring, but I hope its possible to identify and convert automatically, then developers will reduse their codings

Quentin G.
  • Taille de l'entreprise: 2-10 employés
  • Logiciel utilisé toutes les semaines pendant plus d'un an

This sequel is better

Publié le 07/10/2019

Once SQL Server in Azure was selected, it proved to be a great experience. Security, performance and usability was ironed out for us already. We could focus on building our application rather than learning something new about cloud security or how to use a new type of database or database language variation. We have been pleased with the ability to research performance and include other features such as SSIS to accomplish our business requirements easily. Knowing that manual tasks are being completed automatically is a sigh of relief. We also will know immediately if there are any issues. We have had a great experience with SQL Server.

Avantages

It is an industry standard that continues to improve to make the lives of developers easier. We are able to produce software solutions more efficiently because Microsoft continues to improve SQL Server. We rely heavily on this as critical to our business. Developers tell me how flexible SQL Server is also. SQL is more compatible with software packages than other competing databases.

Inconvénients

Parts can be not intuitive unless you've been using it for awhile. It is a technical piece of software that requires time and training. If you need the Enterprise edition for specific features, it is expensive.

Imi C.
  • Secteur d'activité: Organisme politique
  • Taille de l'entreprise: 201-500 employés

• Probabilité de recommander le produit 9.0 /10

SQL is getting better as it grows older

Publié le 21/11/2019

SQL Server centralized my data and allows my staff to "believe" that they are working in Excel, It is super fast for loading data from the server, and allow large data set that will normally take hours, or even crash the Excel spreadsheet to load without any issue.
When I am ready for a web app.. SQL server is easy as piece to develop a simple CRUD application and push live.
It seem to connect to every thing - from MS Word Mail merge, MS Excel, MS Access and of course for development environment such as Visual Studios.
One Database ( Centralized) and many presentation modes for the end users. I love it!

Avantages

MS SQL Server is certainly a competently relational database engine, with reporting service and now R.
Easy to install for small onpremise application.
Easy to administer, easy to backup, easy because it is a Microsoft application.
It is so easy that most of the application today I work on seem to be pulling data from SQL into Excel and or Power BI.
You can start from free version and expand as time goes by.
The management studio take the pain our of scripting, and the online support community most likely have your questions answered with T-SQL scripts for copy and pasting.
If you deciding on an option for an Relational Database system - you should look at this as your most productive option. It allows you to focus on the problem by making the technology easy.

Inconvénients

The new the version, the more memory intensive this management studio will become.
Microsoft need to create some more easy to use tool for change control and change tracking.
Backward compatibility - if you used a higher version during development, then it become a pain to use a lower version during production environment.

Filipe F.
  • Taille de l'entreprise: Auto-entrepreneur

SQL Server review

Publié le 10/03/2020

SQL server is great, because i can use the same language same application, and for small customers it uses free option, and only for best performnace or bigger data need to pay for it
Can use it locally on on cloud

Avantages

SQL Server is a great system to develop databases with great functionalities like jobs, procedures, functions ans so one

Inconvénients

For me the only think not so good is performance for bigger batabases, but for me between 10GiB and 15GiB works fine

Kudakwashe N.
  • Taille de l'entreprise: 11-50 employés

Data Management made so easy with MS SQL Server

Publié le 20/03/2020

Avantages

For any developer, before first they can this own what their apps are going to be developed in their should think of what server should host their database. I do believe that MS SQL Server is the best on the marketing when comes to data management and administration. The best feature that i really love the most on MS SQL Server is the ability to disable remote execution of your queries and really helps protect data integrity in case your server authentication has been compromised. You can also be rest assured that your data is consistent and accurate at all times. Yes hackers some times can try sql injection but i believe MS SQL Server its the most secure servers around.

Inconvénients

The license key for MS SQL might cost you an arm and a leg but at the end of the day its really worth it when you think of a platform where you are able to develop enterprise apps that secure and helps with Business Intelligence.

Brenten L.
  • Secteur d'activité: Compagnies aériennes/Aéronautique

Powerful and Scalable Database Software

Publié le 28/10/2020

Storing large quantities of production data to solve quality and efficiency problems has been a big use for SQL. All of the reporting and power to analyze data has solved countless puzzles for me in my job capacity. I also have done a lot of database administration for our ERP software and the tiles to tune and optimize have always been very helpful.

Avantages

One of my favorite things about Microsoft SQL Server is the scalability. Whether you are using the free version for a small program running on a local machine or running an entire factory it is the same basic concept of programming and administration. I really appreciated being able to work to have a database software that could grow and expand when I need it too. Additionally the reporting and automation packages that come with it are super powerful. I would absolutely recommend using Microsoft SQL Server as anyone’s data as software

Inconvénients

The biggest con in my opinion is that some of the more advanced features for big data analysis and high availability are in the top tier pricing which can be hard for smaller companies to afford. Other than that I have never not been able to solve a problem with Microsoft SQL.

Yuvraaj D.
  • Secteur d'activité: Fabrication électrique/électronique
  • Logiciel utilisé tous les jours pendant plus d'un an

• Probabilité de recommander le produit 10.0 /10

There's a reason why most people choose SQL Server over other database softwares

Publié le 27/12/2020

I have never had any problems with SQL Server. It was always efficient and capable of doing whatever needed to be done.

Avantages

Security is one of the most important aspects of database software since sensitive information can be stored in databases. SQL Servers are some one of the most secure servers out there so data is safe from hackers.

The scaling aspect of this software is great so whether your business is very small or very large that uses huge amounts of data to be stored, SQL servers can scale and use appropriate resources to handle databases therefore no lagging issues and problems querying databases etc. which makes it extremely fast and efficient.

With the large community that uses SQL Server, you have answers to almost all questions that you may have if you encounter any difficulties setting up or using the software, so troubleshooting is made really easy.

Inconvénients

Cost could be an issue as this software could be a bit expensive however with that being said, you definitely will get quality.

Also there might be certain compatibility issues with other non Microsoft software that your company may use so in some cases you might have to switch over to Microsoft softwares in your company depending on what they are.

Anthony G.

The Only Enterprise Level DBMS I Use

Publié le 21/07/2021

We build enterprise level SAAS, Desktop, Web and Mobile applications and API's. I've been SQL Server for over a decade mainly as a DB Developer but at times as an administrator as well.

Avantages

A mature DBMS with no limits. Anything we or our customers wanted has always been possible with SQL Server. First class security, speed, and connection capabilities have enabled us to create world class applications for desktop, mobile, and web.

The SQL Server community is huge which is critical for those new or rarely used features. I've been working in SQL Server for over a decade and still haven't touched many of the features available. Having a robust community makes learning any new feature quick and easy!

Inconvénients

It's not a SQL Server thing per se... but Microsoft's support in general is weak at best. I've never really had a good experience using Microsoft support as it is slow and cumbersome and many times the reps don't communicate well. The huge community is what really what makes all Microsoft products manageable as most anything you want to learn or figure out is a quick browser search away.

• Secteur d'activité: Santé, bien-être et fitness
  • Taille de l'entreprise: 10 000+ employés
  • Logiciel utilisé tous les mois pendant plus d'un an

• Probabilité de recommander le produit 7.0 /10

Easy to use for companies that are just starting out

Publié le 24/06/2021

It is very fast to create relational databases, so I would highly recommend it for practicing programming and database analysis.

Avantages

What I like more about the software is the majority documentation and forums around internet, so it is simple to use and get a easy configuration to start something from zero

Inconvénients

What I like least about this software is the interface and buttons that are presented, since they are the same as 5 years ago

• Secteur d'activité: Services financiers
  • Taille de l'entreprise: 5 001-10 000 employés

SUPER SQL SERVER

Publié le 07/07/2021

I love SQL, I consider it to be a fast and effective processing engine, when a friend asks me for a recommendation I tell him: SQL is super SQL, I usually work with python and it works wonderfully.

Avantages

SQL Server is the first database-oriented tool that I used and I stick with this one, it is very useful, easy to understand, the storage capacity is good, the reading speed is very good and how easy it is to connect with other services from Microsoft makes it very robust.

Inconvénients

I consider 3 issues to take into account, one is that it depends a lot on other microsoft services to connect, second, it should be able to read not only relational databases, but others like Json and finally the server should have more capacity when integrated with big data.

Gajanan S.

• Probabilité de recommander le produit 10.0 /10

Fact, efficient and scalable relation database system

Publié le 11/07/2021

Its been around 10 Yrs I am using Microsoft SQL server is for development and I would be recommending to
all business consumers to use this database and save the cost.

Avantages

Simple and easy interface for developers. for end-use it supports all dashboarding tools. For the business users, low cost compared to other DBs. Security standards are implemented.

Inconvénients

Some of the advanced functions should be added in SQL servers like for hieratical data connect by clause.
packages.

Muhammad ashhar H.
  • Taille de l'entreprise: 201-500 employés

• Probabilité de recommander le produit 10.0 /10

The best software for databases

Publié le 08/01/2021

Overall its the best software for databases, no matter your app is big or small, either it is a school project or a secure bank app this is a must have software for databases.

Avantages

Features which I like the most:
1. Intellisense
2. Remote login - No need to login in any remote server to check it's database
3. Runs with any platform

Inconvénients

The most irritating thing is when I try to restore a backup of newer version (2014) to older version (2008), it gives compatibility error. While taking backup, It should give option to user to make it compatible with older release.

Eric G.
  • Secteur d'activité: Transport routier/ferroviaire

MS SQL Server for location based tracking

Publié le 27/05/2021

The overall experience with MS SQL From version 2006 thru to 2016 has been a very good one. We've utilized new features when presented in version upgrades. The DB reliability is excellent, the licensing cost is well within the range of "norm" for a comparable product. Would highly recommend MS SQL when considering other database servers.

Avantages

We utilize MS SQL for its ease of installation, ease of migration between versions, and the access to developers familiar with the product within our price range. Its widely adopted, and readily supported by a large number of companies.

Inconvénients

The cost and the fact that its purely windows based. Also kinda a memory hog if not setup properly.

Abdul wahab K.

• Probabilité de recommander le produit 10.0 /10

MSSQL is good and well supported

Publié le 22/01/2021

Overall experience with Microsoft SQL Server is good throughout with no major issues.

Avantages

I found it quite easy to install, setup and operate. It is supported by almost all programing languages. The interface is simple and user friendly. I found it safe to be accessed remotely. The visualization of data and retrieving data from different sources is found good. The functionalities like Jobs, Stored Procedures, Functions and Views enhance the database development / management experience.

Inconvénients

Performance issues faced with large databases. With every version, the license model changes which make it complex.

Chirag S.
  • Secteur d'activité: Assurance

• Probabilité de recommander le produit 10.0 /10

Rock solid, reliable and efficient database

Publié le 07/04/2021

We have enjoyed using SQL Server for various OLTP and data warehousing workloads. It is a workhorse. Its performance is fantastic. Tooling surrounding it is great. We have not encountered a single issue with it. We also have a great local meetup where we discuss the constant improvements SQL Server brings each year.

Avantages

We love SQL Server's versatility. Every single application we purchase for insurance has support for SQL Server. We have not come across any situation where SQL Server didn't meet our needs.

Inconvénients

License models are a bit confusing. Some years Microsoft make it easy to understand. Other years Microsoft makes it even more confusing. Can we run SQL Server in our data centers? Can we run it on the cloud? Do we need to change licensing to run in the cloud? Those questions sound easy to answer but the answers we get from Microsoft or resellers confuse us more. It just seems like the confusion is intentional.

Wilmer josué G.
  • Secteur d'activité: Bibliothèques

• Probabilité de recommander le produit 7.0 /10

SQL Server as a primary tool for developers

Publié le 18/06/2021

I have been using SQL server since the first periods of college in my programming classes, as a storage of information I have been taught its practical use both personally and for program development in companies. I find it a very useful and versatile tool, it is used with ease as long as the developer has studied enough information about sql server because a novice and a pro can delete by mistake a whole database, you have to be careful because there are no request messages to deny the deletion. To use the tool I recommend to practice a lot and to comment the coding.

Avantages

What I liked about the tool is the practical use it has, it can be used by novices in an easy way, as long as someone teaches them the basics, it is very useful on a daily basis due to the management of databases and their respective migration to other platforms. The management of the information becomes useful, it is versatile to changes before, during and after the development of the project.

Inconvénients

What I liked least is the interface and the work area because when moving a part of that interface it is not very intuitive to place it to the default place, I have had problems with that and also that for processes of adding data I find the work space very small.

Anthony B.
  • Secteur d'activité: Génie civil

SQL Server | Inexpensive and Impressive

Publié le 05/01/2021

Our organization uses SQL Server Enterprise as the backend for our Laboratory Information Management System. While we had the option to use Oracle, we went the Microsoft route due to licensing costs and in-house expertise. We have had nothing but positive experiences with SQL Server. From day-to-day operations to high-availability to SQL Agent jobs, we use a large portion of the functionality included with SQL Server.

In addition to our laboratory system, we link SQL Server to our financial system (running on an Oracle database), which allowed us to create a data mart that we use to mine and report financial data through SQL Server Reporting Services.

* SQL Server Management Studio is intuitive and fairly straightforward to use

* Implementing more advanced features such as SSRS does not require much effort

* Simple process to link other database servers (i.e. Oracle)

* Robust high-availability solutions available

Inconvénients

* Licensing structure for Enterprise version is per core(s)

* Always On Availability Group high-availability solution, while it works well, could have been simpler to set up

* Performance/query tuning recommendations are not easy to locate

Hasan S.
  • Secteur d'activité: Banque
  • Taille de l'entreprise: 501-1 000 employés
  • Logiciel utilisé tous les jours pendant plus d'un an

SQL Server

Publié le 25/06/2021

Overall experience is just amazing. I have been using it for almost 2 years and it helped my organization a lot during release upgrade and it made database migrations so smooth.

Avantages

Microsoft SQL is quite simple to install and configurations are also easy. As it is a relational database management system, it is a perfect tool for data analysts. As it enable users to filter and extract required data in a few seconds. The product comes with a lot of features like Query analyzer, Integration services, Job scheduler and Reporting services as well. Restoration and backup of multiple databases is a great advantage and I found this feature very useful because it helps a lot in restoring databases in case of any disaster. Also, one can easily schedule tasks in job tools section which is also a very helpful feature of this tool.

Inconvénients

Well, it occupies more data storage in order to install database engine as compared to other SQL databases. Also, support is pretty much expensive and requires a lot of maintenance. It consumes too much resources to load and start.