Greenhouse is great. It's very customizable to your recruiting operation while providing clear guidance on how to best organize your operation. This improves your candidate/interviewer experience while maximizing your data/analytics and workflows. Their customer service team is top notch. They're friendly and helpful and always solution oriented. There's so much I personally like that I'll just have to list a few (in no particular order):
- Offer Workflows (with approvals)
- Job Setup
- Customizable Options (Offer details, Job details, Tags, Candidate details)
- Greenhouse Analytics (Okay I lied, this is my favorite)
- Employee Dashboard
- Referral Process (Posting to social media, tracking, organizing referrals as a referrer)
There isn't a lot not to like. Greenhouse is growing fast and their software is evident of that at times. There are some legacy situations that they've chosen not to prioritize (like bulk updating approvals on jobs) with their engineering time, but though the solution today is time consuming, they're obviously making progress to minimize the pains. When you use Greenhouse, you're using a tool that does more than track candidates, it helps you interview better and it helps your team become more confident in their hiring decisions. So, of course that opens the door for growing pains as they scale and learn what their customers need.
On a more technical side. The way they've designed their API doesn't always make the most sense. They provide some resources to understand it better but until you're neck deep into when candidate_ID and application_ID are used and what historical information is connected to each, it's a bit like learning a new language.
We use Greenhouse as the platform for all recruiting functions globally. Prior to implementing Greenhouse, we had a lot of manual processes in place and the recruiting function as a whole was decentralized. There was no central repository for all recruiting-related information. With Greenhouse, we were able to align the team globally, centralize all functions, automate processes, and create a better hiring experience for managers.
Reporting - In my role, I need to be able to diagnose where the breakdowns are in recruiting, and the system’s many canned reports help me do that. While Greenhouse doesn’t have the ability to let you build custom reports, there are enough reports available that I don’t have to do that. It’s also been very useful for me to get weekly recruitment reports from the system so I can see activity from a high level. All this lets me keep my finger on the pulse of hiring, and report effectively to the business where we are with progress to plan, while at the same time advising on trends I’m seeing and actions we may want to take.
Interview Kits/Scorecards - Another great feature of the system. Getting everyone on the same sheet of music has been invaluable. Once all scorecards are input then the manager can see all of the feedback and make a decision. As I’ve mentioned, centralization is important to us and having all the feedback in one place makes it easy on recruiter and manager alike. And the interview kits are a great way to set everyone up for success because they can be customized so that the whole interview panel takes the same approach, or each interviewer can be tasked with a specific question set. And it’s all so intuitive and easy to use. Several of our senior executives have set the standard for user engagement with Greenhouse!
User experience - This was one very key area for us. We believe that recruiters are partners to managers, and for them to want to engage on that level, we needed a system that was user-friendly. And Greenhouse is definitely user-friendly. We have a high level of engagement here which has helped to further our goal of creating a culture of recruitment here.
Reporting Customization - Although there are many canned reports that cover a variety of areas, I still have to export multiple reports in order to build a report which tells the story I’m trying to tell.
User Access Customization - I understand this is something on their product roadmap. It would be great for them to get more granular in terms of access-level functionality.
Helpful to map out a recruitment journey in one place. But can be done with more control of your data in many other HR tools.
Intuitive features and easy to process between steps
Helps to ensure consistency between interviews, plans, and third party integrations for staff intake and hiring.
Easy to post jobs and link multiple job posts to the same position internally (newer posts get more applications, but don't need a new job inside the portal)
Allows for constant hiring, and deep analytics on use of HR teams time and performance
- Really not a fit for small or midsize firms, you can tell its great for the enterprise
- Support is great initially, then is not as helpful after execution (contract lock in)
- Pricing is annual, and very high
- Hard to justify the ROI for convenience on HR team
- Pricing is completely based on size of the company (meaning how much you can afford) vs. the use of the platform or feature set
- Prohibitive annual, upfront, and renewal terms
- Company tried to renew automatically within contract notification periods, without confirmation/touching base previously, and expected higher contract terms without discussion or proposal
- Exporting data is non-functional. Only left with Resumes and not full details, notes, or other data your team may have created (Keep that in mind when spending time analyzing candidates and for legal/compliance)
- Really consider how your team will use this, and if it is either a time saver or money maker for recruiting.
Chances are, it's not - but it is convenient in one place. But once you're in it - very hard to leave and difficult to offboard.
I did a fair amount of investigating ATS systems, and Greenhouse ultimately won my business and has kept it for a several reasons.
1. Customer Service. Their sales team understood the difference between availability, persistence and harassment. Their implementation specialists are patient, articulate, empathetic, easily accessible and even open to product improvement suggestions. Support tickets are handled quickly and when the matter is a more complex tool-wide programming solve, they still communicate the outcome to you---even months later!!
2. UI and UX. It's sexy, intuitive, and easy to use. Trying to get timely candidate feedback from super busy creative people, many of whom are naturally disorganized, has meant the simplicity of Greenhouse has been a godsend. They even like using it because its pretty. Anything to made the horse led to water drink, ya know?
3.Customization. I love that I can change make both minor tweaks and major adjustments to scorecards, job posts, work flow and hiring teams with zero headache. We can also put our unique brand voice on everything our internal team and candidates see, so nothing about it feels robotic.
4. Candidate Experience. It's fast, simple, and clear on the receiving end, which is the most important part. Feedback from our candidates, even from rejected candidates, has been glowing since we started using Greenhouse---a vast improvement over our previous MO.
5. Ease of Communications. Communicating to and about candidates is simple and fluid, AND can all activity around a candidate is logged, so you check and double check last communications---key when you have a large pool and fast moving process. It's also web based, so use it from your phone, home computer or anywhere that's not your desk.
The only drawback is that the flexibility in the rest of the tool is not represented in the reporting. The reports can be a little difficult to decipher and there are some sets of data not offered that would be quite useful, though not critical. On the whole, the reporting features are more than adequate, but relative to the awesomeness of the tool and service otherwise, it would step up a bit.
Customer Service, UI/UX, Customization, Candidate Experience, Ease of Communications.
Analytics, Price (if you're a small business)
No glaring holes in the tools a small-to-medium sized organization needs to track, manage, evaluate, and hire candidates.
Lots of push-button integration partners to drive downstream workflows, such as Background Screening, and HRIS export.
Heavy configureability means heavy variation between customer setups. This is true in nearly every software solution, not just Greenhouse.
It would be great to see Greenhouse take more of a lead in providing good examples of objective candidate evaluations. Scorecards that coach interviewers on how to objectively evaluate certain attributes, etc...there's plenty of research out there on preventing bias in interviews, and how evaluate candidates more objectively. We'd welcome Greenhouse to take away some of the 'configurability' in favor of stronger leadership on evaluating technical and non-technical qualities objectively and without bias during interview.
BambooHR, an HR Information System, does a great job of leading their customers by designing functionality that support best practices in performance review, performance management, and goal setting. They simply don't allow their customers to configure their way out of doing good reviews. They explain the research behind employee engagement, good reviews, and stick to their guns. This is good industry leadership, Greenhouse could learn from that.
"Choose your own path" isn't always the best.
- Ease of use & great support documentation you can point individual users to so the recruiting team is not inundated with one-off questions from users.
- Access to customer support through the chat feature
- Ability to make feature requests
- The product is constantly evolving and growing with our needs as a fast growing organization
- Many levels of specificity when setting up alerts you want to receive - our previous ATS alert emails were either all or nothing but with Greenhouse you can select exactly what you want such as alerts when candidates move to different stages, or alerts for specific interview rounds which is very helpful.
- Restrictions on customizations: For instance, I'd like to create an additional "sourcing strategy" but am not able to so many candidate sources end up under the "other" bucket which leads to poor reporting on source of hire and ROI tracking for some recruiting initiatives.
- Workflows can get real messy real fast if you have a larger recruiting team
- Reporting is just alright - not as robust as I'd expect which means managers end up doing quite a bit of manual work to build a story to tell to execs. Be ready to export reports to excel and expect to spend time manipulating data.
Greenhouse... more like FUNhouse! Greenhouse is the most intuitive ATS out there. It's easy to use for interviewers as well as recruiters and hiring managers. It's definitely the cleanest product out there and the innovators behind it obviously care about staying at the top, as is clear from their constant updates. Greenhouse is also the most data centric ATS I've worked with. It allows you to really track your hiring data to be able to make smarter recruiting decision down the road. All in all, very few complaints about the product or the people behind it. Save yourself the research - work with Greenhouse!
Greenhouse is by far in a way the best ATS I've worked with. Having said that, sure, are there things that could be better? I'm sure (though none come to mind right now). It would be great if you could post to social media about all jobs at your company as opposed to one specific job (though I think they're working on this). It would also be great if my "resources" on my google calendar synced up. Right now I can scheduled interviews to my specific calendars via google calendar, but I can't schedule them to a specific room, or "resource." These are pretty small things though and I'm confident whatever isn't perfect will be soon enough!
- The interview kits and scorecards are great. Easy for my team and for interviewers to use.
- The UI has continued to get better over the years; clearly the product is continually being improved and new features being built.
- The live chat feature is really helpful (I've used it many times), though it's been a little confusing knowing if we had an Account Manager to call with questions; I believe we had one when we first signed, then were told later we no longer had one, now we have one again?
- Lots of helpful integrations, with G-Suite, Docusign, Linkedin Recruiter, etc.
- Reporting functionality is rather lacking. I find it not useful and challenging to use. My team uses excel sheets outside of Greenhouse to manually track all our metrics, like time to fill and how many screens it took to get to a hire.
- Pricing spikes if your employee count grows, so you may be paying significantly more for the same product in a year or two.
- Keeping track of passive or prospective candidates is nearly impossible. Unless someone is an active candidate in an active job, it's likely I'll lose track of them.
First off, the Greenhouse team is super responsive to questions! The simply chat window at the bottom makes it easy to get a hold of a representative when there is an issue. Overall, the entire system is SO easy to use! I train new hires and managers on the system and I only get a few that come back with questions. The offer process - easy. Changing the interview plan - simple. Scheduling, adding permissions, creating templates - it's a breeze. We moved over from a previous ATS that was not intuitive, customer service was miserable, and we felt very limited on what we could control with the system. Greenhouse is very customizable, super easy to use and troubleshoot, and encompasses everything that an ATS should!
The one downside to Greenhouse is that they constantly are updating their UI to the point where it confuses the users! I find that after I've created training material, Greenhouse will change the UI and I have to take new screen shots and update my deck. They then do not update their own training material quickly enough for users to use. I've also found that they have been having some issues when it comes to the communication between Outlook and the system. They have had to change the scheduling alias multiple times from [email protected] to [email protected] to [email protected] to fix the issue.
Greenhouse allows our organization to streamline our hiring process. From applications to interview feedback to offer creation, everything is much simpler since implementing Greenhouse.
The best feature, for me, is the interview kits and feedback. It allows us to set up interviewers for success during interviews and make sure we have consistent selection criteria. Also, the scorecards make gathering feedback much easier, I don't have to chase down hiring managers anymore.
Throughout the buying and implementation process, everyone at Greenhouse was great to work with. They were transparent with pricing, worked within my expectations and timelines and did a great job helping me through the implementation process. I have now purchased and implemented Greenhouse at my last two organizations.
I think the one area that can be improved/added is more features focused on nurturing previous candidates.
The system is very flexible and quite intuitive. The screening tool helps saving a lot of time and communications with candidates and the hiring team is quick and easy. The recruitment pipeline can be tailored for each recruitment and all the interview notes or test results are stored on the candidate profile. Reporting options cover all the information you need to understand your recruitment trends. The system also facilitates referral schemes, panel creation, internal job board and multiple job board if you have different branches.
As with any systems, there are always small details that could be changed to suit personal preferences. The interview notes once exported in pdf could be better designed and I would like to have more options for the interviewer profile. The phone app has recently been updated and most functions are now available - hopefully the next upgrade will include the possibility to email candidates!
faster recruitment cycle, better internal communication with all stakeholders involved in the Talent Acquisition process.
it is probably one of the factors that made Yerra Solutions a recipient of the 2017 "Great Place to Work" Award
The implementation turned out to be easy and straight forward, with great customer support along the way...
Creating new job openings is simple, with many items easy to customize to our specific process. Creating new candidate profiles is straight forward with the integrated CV parsing. Generally speaking, navigating through the system is smooth and dummy-proof.
Greenhouse helped us reach the next step of our business grow and development, with standard Talent Acquisition processes in all our geographical locations across the globe, while always proposing applicants a professional experience. And just as importantly, it helps us share information and integrate totally the Talent Acquisition functions within the "business" functions, facilitating exchanges with interviewers and hiring managers.
Due to data privacy protection compliance, we cannot provide access to Greenhouse to all our workforce, which limits the capacity of employees to make direct referral
I have 10+ years of experience in the Talent Acquisition space and I've used just about every ATS you can think about, from the monsters (Taleo, SilkRoad, etc.) to the startups (Jazz, Lever, Jobvite).
I've never felt compelled to write an online review before, but I'd never been blown away by a recruiting tool before either.
Out of everything we've been working on this year nothing has had a more dramatic an impact on my team's success than our switch to Greenhouse last year. For me, it's the everyday workflow and productivity improvements, the confidence that we're focusing our efforts in the right place, the pride that we're more on top of it all than any other recruiting tam I know.
I don't know how I survived without their incredible reports - I can give the CEO the hard data showing why we need the funding we do, or how much we've improved since the previous quarter, or what we need to do to prepare for the hires we'll be making in 6 months...
Even just seeing how the HM's actually use it and knowing they're on the exact same page as the recruiters has been a dream come true.
Thank you Greenhouse!
it makes life better
it makes me happy
it makes my team happy
it makes my hiring mangers happy
it makes my CEO happy
They don't have an HRIS function ... (yet?!)
Not only is Greenhouse easy to use, evolves with our business, offers new features and functionality but the Customer Support and Account Managers really listen to feedback. After discussing questions on chat I often make suggestions for future features to add to the product roadmap - the amazing part is seeing my suggestions come to life! Being a Greenhouse user for the past two years I have seen many of my ideas added and my Account Manager always adds a personal touch by letting me know when my ideas will go live.
Being in Ops and an Admin I always wish for more flexibility and customized options for users' permissions and reporting. Greenhouse offers other options to meet our needs but I would love to be able to build my own unique permission sets, reports, and dashboards.
Ease of use is a big pro - one of the main deciding factors to choose GH 2 years ago
- Being able to keep most of the recruiting process in one tool
Follow up reminders
Scorecards are a nice value add
Excited for the ever increasing reporting capabilities
DocuSign and HIRED integrations
Notes and mentions feature
Offer and email templates
- I'm sure there are others...
- While not a total con - scheduling - trying to find internal room availability is not as intuitive as we would like (not as intuitive as using Google Calendar to find the rooms outside of GH) - other than that massive improvement to scheduling
- Rejection notifications if people have gone through a stage in our process - we may be the anomaly as our hiring managers handle most of the recruiting process where us as recruiters facilitate the process and schedule interviews
I like the customizable features that Greenhouse offers. It allows you to adjust various items of your workflow to meet your company's needs. There is so much Greenhouse can do in the way of making your workflow process smooth for hiring efficiency. You just need to spend the time laying out the process so it is set up how you want.
Greenhouse is still in a major growth phase. As a result, your rep/Customer Service team often responds with "that isn't a feature we offer right now" to just about every question you ask them. They are big on pushing the blame onto something other than themselves (your IT team, a third party vendor, etc). The reps are inconsistent, we have had great reps and then we have had reps that are hardly present. There is a large turnover there so you don't get the chance to develop a true relationship with anyone.
It's got almost every report I could ask for. Really easy to set up and building & publishing new jobs is a breeze. It's helped calibrate candidate evaluations across our interviewing teams. It integrates nicely with our HRIS & Payroll platform to make the transition from offer to hire pretty simple.
If there is one thing it is missing, it is the ability to create questionnaires or tests that can be sent out during the interview process. If you want to collect customer Q&A, it can only be done at the time of application. I don't like the idea of making the application process that long for folks who wouldn't pass the initial recruiter screen.
First and foremost, the customer service. I recently joined a company to start their first recruiting team, and Greenhouse has been absolutely incredible in patiently answering endless questions, helping me with training, and figuring out the best work flow for the types of needs we have. Their instant messaging that is built into the software is also wonderful to have for those quick questions when you can't find something, or figure something out. I love being able to manage job postings from Greenhouse, track where candidates are coming from, as well as the reporting features that are built in. It really is a one stop shop for any recruiter's success.
The only thing I can think of is when a resume won't parse, which is very rare and an issue within the resume not Greenhouse. They've really thought of just about everything and are making updates and improvements all the time so there isn't much I can think of that is a negative.
- Encourages collaboration between interviewers
- Built around the idea of a structured interview process, which helps us make data-driven decisions
- UI is intuitive and easy to navigate
- Customer support is top notch - responsive, friendly, and knowledgeable
- They continually roll out new features and improvements, largely based on feedback from their user community
- There are a lot of reports that come with the system, but no option to build custom reports from scratch
- Managing prospects is a bit messy and often creates duplicates. We've adopted a Talent CRM (Beamery) to help us better manage prospects and talent pools.
I would really consider Greenhouse before implementing more complex solutions like SAP, Oracle or other more expensive ones. Greenhouse is as powerful, if not more powerful, more flexible and truly modern recruiting software build with users in mind.
Greenhouse is probably the most powerful, easy too use recruiting software/ATS. Greenhouse is build to allow recruiters and hiring managers to work together, sharing and collaborating easy. Managing your recruiting process could not be easier with custom setup. Recruiters can plug in many services with a very easy to integrate API, giving you access to job boards, social media, video interviewing platforms and many others. Reporting is also made really easy with custom dashboards.
I really can not think of any downside to implementing Greenhouse - it is a truly standout provider.
This is the most intuitive and well thought out ATS that I've used and we consistently receive that same feedback from within the TA team and from the business that we support. The Greenhouse product team is very forward thinking and receptive and it shows in the frequent releases. The interview kits, easy integrations, approvals, referral tool and the mobile app have all shaped the way our team works. We've also had a great experience with our Account Director, which can make all the difference.
The biggest con for us would be the basic reports. We quickly outgrew them and needed to move to an in-house solution.
Greenhouse is a very intuitive and easy-to-use system. It integrates with a lot of great tools, from onboarding, to payroll, skills testing, and may others. Their customer support team is among the best I've experienced with any software platform I've used. The support chat function is fantastic, and everyone I've talked to there has been extremely pleasant. The system requires very little training, which makes onboarding new interviewers a breeze.
The reporting isn't very robust, and the system doesn't support creating custom reports. They do have an Analytics piece you can add-on, but it's quite expensive.
Having access to all candidate history, contact info and feedback is a lifesaver when it comes to recruiting and compliance. Greenhouse also helps us establish and follow a clear recruiting process.
It's so easy to train new users. The software is intuitive and new users pick it up quickly. It has been really cool to see all the new features added over the years.
In the past year, I have seen a drastic increase in glitches and bugs with the site. I've submitted more tickets to support and have had to find more workarounds for things like calendars not syncing. Additionally, the accuracy of the reporting feature could use some extra attention.
Greenhouse ATS goes beyond just a software, it comes with a community, a easy product, and GREAT customer support. The community piece is huge in the industry. Greenhouse provides ample information on the latest ways to attract talent, understand how to making scheduling effortless, and coaches on best practices for any company size. They provide the best customer support by always answering and problem solving with you, no matter how silly or how complex the question. If they can't resolve the issue immediately, customer support gets back to you within 24 hours and provides an update on your issue. Greenhouse provides a great blog to help you learn about great companies and how to improve your employer branding. The integration with varies software is obviously an added bonus!
The product is growing like any other innovative company. That said, they have some features that they are working on building to support their clients better. They stay humble and focused on making their clients/customers excited about the builds to come, but set the right expectations as well. The reporting could be improved, but still provides a clean export for excel etc.
great overview of in which stage is every candidate and who is responsible for moving forward the recruiting process candidate, access to the questions and answers, avoid subjective discusión among recruiting team (make decisions based on data)
- Alerts when you have to take an action
- it is not only an app is a recruiting expert consultant. Every component of the app makes you think on how to select your candidates. You need to enter a job description, when doing so, you need to think what question would help you to assess the candidate, then you need to think how many phases will have the process, who needs to be involved, you can explicit to the team of interviewers what exactly do want to explore while doing the interviews, etc.
- If you don't work daily in recruiting, for example, if you are a manger that hires every 3 or four months, the app is a complex to understand, and you can easily forget how to use it.
- For a large company it pays itself, but for small companies that probably don't need all the features but the basics , turns out to be expensive